[Pythonmac-SIG] PySerial not working on Tiger

Mark Baxter mbaxter at telia.com
Sat Sep 3 01:17:09 CEST 2005

Hi all.

Sorry if this is really basic, but I've been tearing my hair out
searching all over the place. I'm a complete beginner to Python (but
not programming in general, I'm more of a C++ man normally).

I am trying to install PySerial on a basic MacPython installation on
10.4. As is suggested by the PySerial website I typed "sudo python
setup.py install" and then tried the examples. Python just doesn't
seem to believe that PySerial exists.

I created a simple program just to import PySerial and create a
serial instance:

#!/usr/bin/env python
import serial
ser = serial.Serial()

And all I get for my troubles when I type "python serial.py" is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "serial.py", line 10, in ?
     import serial
   File "/Users/myb/Python Serial/serial.py", line 11, in ?
     ser = serial.Serial()
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Serial'

 From what I have read online I am not sure that installing PySerial
has put the right files in the right place. The only PySerial files I
can find are in /Library/Python/2.3/site-packages/serial and consists
of just these files:

__init__.py     serialjava.py   serialposix.py  serialutil.py
serialwin32.py
__init__.pyc    serialjava.pyc  serialposix.pyc serialutil.pyc
serialwin32.pyc

Have I done something obviously wrong (and probably embarressingly
amateur), for example screwing up the install of PySerial? I haven't
installed a new version of Python.

Thanks for any help.

Mark Baxter