[Pythonmac-SIG] messed up Tiger python install

Brendan Simons brendansimons at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 12 06:12:44 CEST 2005

This is the third plea I've heard from someone who's gotten
themselves into real trouble after removing the Tiger-supplied
python.  I almost did it myself when 2.3 kept coming up even after I
installed 2.4.  We definitely have a communication problem.

On 11-Sep-05, at 6:00 AM, Robert Kern wrote:

> No, you don't. What you do want to do is put /usr/local/bin in your
> $PATH before /usr/bin so typing
>
>   $ python
>
> gives you 2.4.1.

I found this advice before, but as someone who doesn't have a unix
background, it took me a long time to figure out exactly HOW to
change my $Path variable permanently.  Can I suggest that a tutorial
be linked to the pythonmac or undefined.org/packages sites detailing
this process?  Alternatively, can the path be modified by the 2.4
install script?

-Brendan
--
Brendan Simons, Project Engineer