[Pythonmac-SIG] messed up Tiger python install

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Sep 12 11:16:56 CEST 2005

On 12-sep-2005, at 6:45, Robert Kern wrote:

> Brendan Simons wrote:
>

>> I found this advice before, but as someone who doesn't have a unix
>> background, it took me a long time to figure out exactly HOW to
>> change
>> my $Path variable permanently.  Can I suggest that a tutorial be
>> linked
>> to the pythonmac or undefined.org/packages sites detailing this
>> process?
>>

> You can suggest all you like. It's much more effective, however, to
> write such a tutorial and ask that it be placed on the site.
>

>> Alternatively, can the path be modified by the 2.4 install script?
>>

> No. Installers that do that kind of thing garner well-earned derision.

Right. And which PATH should be changed? The only of the user that
happens to install python, all users, the system path? And then
there's the various shells that could be used. A document that tells
you how to change your path would be much better.

I'd be very annoyed if some random installer would modify my, heavily
customized, profile.

Ronald