[Pythonmac-SIG] messed up Tiger python install

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 13 19:53:28 CEST 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> But please consider writing clear documentation telling people how to
> modify their $PATH, instead.

If you do that please be sure to mention that you can also just use:

python2.4

at the prompt and in the #! line of scripts.

You probably need to put "/usr/local/bin" in the PATH anyway, but it may
or may not be before "/usr/bin". It's still a mystery to me why most
systems don't have /usr/local/bin in the PATH by default.

By the way, modifying those sym links in Linux is probably not a good
idea either. Some Linux systems use python for system services (RedHat
and Gentoo, at least), and you wouldn't want to mess those up either.

I really wish system builders would hard-code the path or version of
python in the system scripts, then this would be so much easier!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov