[Pythonmac-SIG] librsync, pylibacl, pyxattr ?

Chinook chinook.nr at tds.net
Wed Sep 14 23:50:35 CEST 2005

librsync, pylibacl, pyxattr ?

Been off on a bash scripting tangent, then did an article <a
href="http://homepage.mac.com/lee_cullens/Bx3.html">Backup::Restore</a>.
Now I'm back to Python because I need a sync verification utility.

The idea is simply to compare a directory on one volume with the same
directory on another volume.  Working recursively through the directory
contents, first files on only one volume or the other would be noted,
then for matching files the time stamps, permissions, ACLs and sizes,
maybe even MD5 hashes, would be checked and any mismatches noted.

I've searched for such a utility for OS X and come up empty.  If you
know of something I might have missed please speak up.

Anyway, if I have to do it myself I figured I'd need three things I
don't have.  That is librsync, pylibacl and pyxattr.  On Bob's package
page I found xattr - is that the same as pyxattr (I'm assuming so for
the moment)?  Which leaves librsync and pylibacl.  I see various sources
for such, but before I go trying one at random I'm wondering if anyone
that has them on OS X has any specific recommendations.

Thank you,

Lee C