[Pythonmac-SIG] XCode autoindenting?

Jeffrey E. Forcier jforcier at strozllc.com
Wed Sep 21 21:27:06 CEST 2005

On Sep 21, 2005, at 2:36 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> Xcode support syntax coloring for a lot languages, including fringe
> languages like Dylan. Someone seems to have overengeneered the
> syntax coloring system :-)

Hoo boy. Maybe I should go check if it also supports 'whitespace' or
'brain****' (you know, the language that's all + and - characters?).

> IMHO the WebKit story was hyped, but I must say I haven't checked
> out al details. At least WebKit is now a more transparent project.
>
> I don't know how responsive Apple is. At least one Apple engeneer
> really likes Python, and there are rumored to be more :-). I'd
> guess that Python support is not high on the TODO list for Xcode
> and won't be until someone big (such as Adobe) starts pushing for it.

That makes sense, although I did hear the other day that "someone"
inside Apple is in fact pushing for better Python usage/support,
overall, in their various products/projects. Granted, this is
hearsay, but it *was* in a channel that has some well-positioned
Apple nerds =)

> My feature request for this asks for opening up Xcode a little,
> that way we could write Python support ourselves. Someone who
> really wants to enhance Xcode won't be stopped by lack of API
> documentation. There are several 3th party plugins for Mail.app and
> that doesn't have a public API either.

Yea, 'class-dump' is useful in that regard =) Now if only I knew ObjC
well enough to make good use of it...

Regards,
Jeff

- --
Jeffrey E. Forcier
Junior Developer, Research and Development
Stroz Friedberg, LLC
15 Maiden Lane, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10038
[main]212-981-6540 [direct]212-981-6546
http://www.strozllc.com

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No right to
confidential or privileged treatment of this message is waived or lost
by any error in transmission.  If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail or by telephone at
212.981.6540, delete the message and all copies from your system and
destroy any hard copies.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.