[Pythonmac-SIG] XCode autoindenting?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Sep 21 21:34:21 CEST 2005

On 21-sep-2005, at 21:27, Jeffrey E. Forcier wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2005, at 2:36 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>

>> Xcode support syntax coloring for a lot languages, including
>> fringe languages like Dylan. Someone seems to have overengeneered
>> the syntax coloring system :-)
>>

> Hoo boy. Maybe I should go check if it also supports 'whitespace'
> or 'brain****' (you know, the language that's all + and -
> characters?).

I know off the language. Even intercal seems more useful ;-)

>> IMHO the WebKit story was hyped, but I must say I haven't checked
>> out al details. At least WebKit is now a more transparent project.
>>
>> I don't know how responsive Apple is. At least one Apple engeneer
>> really likes Python, and there are rumored to be more :-). I'd
>> guess that Python support is not high on the TODO list for Xcode
>> and won't be until someone big (such as Adobe) starts pushing for it.
>>

> That makes sense, although I did hear the other day that "someone"
> inside Apple is in fact pushing for better Python usage/support,
> overall, in their various products/projects. Granted, this is
> hearsay, but it *was* in a channel that has some well-positioned
> Apple nerds =)
>

>> My feature request for this asks for opening up Xcode a little,
>> that way we could write Python support ourselves. Someone who
>> really wants to enhance Xcode won't be stopped by lack of API
>> documentation. There are several 3th party plugins for Mail.app
>> and that doesn't have a public API either.
>>

> Yea, 'class-dump' is useful in that regard =) Now if only I knew
> ObjC well enough to make good use of it...

No need to use class-dump, just inject a Python interpreter and class
browser. Both are examples shipped with PyObjC :-)

Ronald

> Regards,
> Jeff
>

> - --
> Jeffrey E. Forcier
> Junior Developer, Research and Development
> Stroz Friedberg, LLC
> 15 Maiden Lane, 12th Floor
> New York, NY 10038
> [main]212-981-6540 [direct]212-981-6546
> http://www.strozllc.com
>
> This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
> right to
> confidential or privileged treatment of this message is waived or lost
> by any error in transmission.  If you have received this message in
> error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail or by
> telephone at
> 212.981.6540, delete the message and all copies from your system and
> destroy any hard copies.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
> disclose, distribute, print or copy any part of this message if you
> are
> not the intended recipient.

Adding disclaimers like this to mail to a public mailinglist is a
little silly :-). Luckily we're rather polite over here.  Oh well,
I've seen mail with two disclaimers like this, the first one in Dutch
and then one in English.