[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: MacPython icon mockup

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Sat Apr 8 23:37:39 CEST 2006

Hi, Kevin.

> Hi Bill,
>
> On Apr 7, 2006, at 3:54 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:
>
> > Hmmm...
> >
> > Kevin, I wonder if the checkerboard the blocks are standing on could
> > perhaps become more of a morph of the new yin/yang Python logo.  I'd
> > like to see some kind of connection to the graphics being developed
> > for the main Python web site.
>
> I think trying to incorporate two icons into one would be a bit much.

Agreed.  I wasn't suggesting that.  I was suggesting that the new
*logo* be incorporated into the icon, in some fashion, not any of the
new *icons* being developed around that logo for the website.  I still
think it's a good idea.  It would be nice to have some point of
graphic unification for the community.

Specifically, I was thinking of an incorporation of this graphic element:

http://www.fastmirrors.org/python/pub/beta.python.org/resources/design/logo/python-logo-master-flat-symbolonly.png

Andrew Clover's icons have the virtue of doing this:

  http://www.doxdesk.com/img/software/py/icons.png

though I think the logo in them is somewhat too front and center, and
kind of obscures the main purpose of the icon.  By the way, a recent
posting on python-dev
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-April/063517.html)
intimates that those icons are coming to the various standard
releases.

A spec for usage of the new logo is at

http://www.fastmirrors.org/python/pub/beta.python.org/resources/design/logo/python-logo-master-flat-usage.png

We can get the vector versions of the logo if you need them.

> Also, I think it's a valid point that the Python
> logo is really not OS X/XP-style (It's reminiscent of BE's style to
> me, actually), and I really think the best way for an icon to say "OS
> X" is to be in the OS X style.

Right, and I think the thing to do would be to "OS X"-ize the flat
logo and incorporate it into the design.  For instance, the flat
checkerboard the block-snake is standing on might become the flat logo
instead.

Bill