[Pythonmac-SIG] bin and version

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sun Apr 9 02:25:20 CEST 2006

I can answer your second question: You're being confused by the Mac
folder system vs the underlying Unix filesystem.

All folders are (really, underlyingly) directories, but not all
directories show up on the desktop as folders.

Your home directory is, in Unix terms, someplace like
	/Users/yourUserName
whereas the bin directories, which do not show up on the OS X desktop
as folders at all, are /bin and /usr/bin. The "/usr" here is not at
all the same thing as the OS X "/Users" directory.

So in practice, you can't easily look for, or at, or into, the bin
directories from within OS X. You have to go to the Terminal to do
that. If you fire up the Terminal application and type
	cd /
and then
	ls
you'll see a list of files and directories at the top or root level
of the Unix filesystem that underlies the Mac folder system. It will
include "Applications" and "Users" and "Library" and other familiar
stuff from folder-land, but also "usr" and "bin" other other
unfamiliar, Unix-land stuff.

Which doesn't answer your question about what (Unix) commands to
issue (in the Terminal) to find your Pythons. I'll leave that to
somebody who understands Unix-land better than I do . . .