[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: MacPython icon mockup

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Sun Apr 9 23:27:23 CEST 2006

Kevin,

> If we do what you propose, what we would have is two 'elements',
> let's call them, in the final icon which serve the same purpose:
> identifying Python. It's redundant, if not confusing, and since the
> icons use different color schemes and designs, it will hurt the icon
> visibility and clarity as it gets smaller.

Yes, I see what you mean.  I think the colors of the new icon you're
designing should be adjusted to be more in line with the new Python
logo.  That would solve the color problem.  And rounding off a few
edges on the icon would help it meld with the logo.

> > It would be nice to have some point of
> > graphic unification for the community.
>
> I appreciate what you want to do, but IMHO the correct way to have
> gone about this would have been to design the new Python logo from
> the start to be appropriate as an OS X icon. For whatever reason,
> though, that didn't happen.

Again, logos and icons are two different things.  Incorporating the
logo as an element of the "OS X"ish icon would be the way to go.

> come
> up with our own design which we feel is a suitable fit for the
> project on OS X. My interest lies firmly in the latter.

I think that's fine.  I'm just saying that that design should borrow
from and incorporate in some way the established graphic badging that
the Python community at large is finally getting around to.

> Projects like
> PyGame and ModApache have their own visual identity for Python

Because they pre-date the new logo, no doubt.  After all, the old
MacPython had that in-joke 16-ton weight.  I think it's appropriate
for both PyGame and ModApache to re-design their identities, too.

Your mockup, as it is, just doesn't say "Python" (to me).

> it runs on an OS known for its unique and striking visual identity.

Hey, all the OS's are going to be that way Real Soon Now :-).  I like
the Mac too, but it's just Python.

Bill