[Pythonmac-SIG] bin and version

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Mon Apr 10 19:02:30 CEST 2006

On 4/9/06, Daniel Lord <daniellord at mac.com> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2006, at 7:59 PM, linda.s wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I installed quite a few python versions in my computer and I want to
> > know where they are located.
> > Should i check them in the bin folder?
> > If so, why I can not find the bin folder in my home directory?
>
> Someone answered the portion regarding the commands. As for the
> location of the 'bin' directory, OS X hides several UNIX directories
> in the Finder as part of their simplification facade. You can always
> access them from the shell:
[snipped]

You can access them from the Finder too, either with the menu Go->Go
to Folder... or via the keyboard: Cmd-Shift-G.  Either way, you can
then type in any directory (such as /bin/) and it will open up a
Finder window for it, whether it is normally visible in the Finder or
not.

If you're already in the Terminal (or other command-line shell), the
command "open [directory]" will open the directory as a folder in the
Finder.  So, "open ." will open the current directory, and "open
/usr/local/bin" will open that directory in a Finder window.  Of
course, the quotes are just for this email, you don't type them in the
command.

--Dethe