[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython -- some disappointment using it.

Saggau saggau at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 01:53:53 CEST 2006

are you running your scripts with pythonw from the command line?

On 4/11/06, Louis Pecora <pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> I bought the wxPython in Action book and started trying the simple
> examples in Chap. 1.  One thing I have run into is rather
> disappointing.  Many errors (e.g. I typed return true, instead of return
> True) do not give the beloved Python tracback.  That's one of the nice
> things that made me choose Python.  Somehow once the app is launched if
> there is a bug it just quits without any information.  I am now
> struggling to find out why example 3 (hello.py) won't work.  I've been
> over it dozens of times checking indentation, spelling, etc.  But the
> app never gets into OnInit (determined by the old fashion way of putting
> print's into the program at strategic stages).   A window flashes open
> and then disappears.  Process exited in the terminal.
>
> How are others using wxPython?  Do you find you need to run in a
> debugger?  Does that help?  What do you recommend?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Lou Pecora
>
> Code 6362
> Naval Research Lab
> Washington, DC  20375
> USA
> Ph:  +202-767-6002
> email:  pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil

The extent to which an individual can resist being blindly led by tradition
is a good measure of his vitality.  - Harry Partch

There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows
about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the
work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them! - Richard P.
Feynman

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ
from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are not even
capable of forming such opinions.  - Einstein