[Pythonmac-SIG] readline: where and how installed?

Michael Broe mbroe at columbus.rr.com
Wed Apr 12 22:57:19 CEST 2006

I'm having an issue using IPython that may be related to readline,
which I am pursuing on the IPython mailing list.

I had my self-built version of readline 5.1 installed in /usr/local/
include, and I patched and reinstalled it, which was one theory for
fixing the problem, but no go.

I'm just curious about the readline component of the Universal
MacPython 2.4.3 release.

http://bob.pythonmac.org/archives/category/python/ says:

"Includes a working bsddb, readline, and curses."

Where is that readline installed? Who trumps who, a readline I have
installed in /usr/local/include, or MacPython's readline?

Does the installer check for the presence of readline, and make
decisions accordingly?

Just trying to get the lay of the land in order to isolate the problem.

Here is my post to IPython, for context.

Cheers,
Mike

---
If I partially (or completely) enter a command onto a line, then hit
the up arrow, I cannot scroll back through history, and worse, if I
hit up twice, or hit up then down, I get a bus error and am ejected
from ipython. In the following, I type in "print range" then hit the
up arrow twice:

~ $ ipython
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Apr  7 2006, 10:54:33)

IPython 0.7.1.fix1 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
%magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.

In [1]: print rangeBus error
~ $ ipython

That "ipython" after the last prompt is not typed in by me, it is
accessed in the bash history by the second "up" I send. If I do "up"
then "down", I'm dumped out to a bare prompt ~ $.
---