[Pythonmac-SIG] readline: where and how installed?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Apr 13 14:06:53 CEST 2006

On 13-apr-2006, at 0:42, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>> While I'm sure that the execve stuff is a necessary evil (and
>> certainly less troublesome than the pythonw mess), it's worth
>> noting the little user-unfriendly situations like this that an
>> "ideal" solution to the problem would not have. I guess the ball is
>> rather in Apple's court to make things work better, but waiting
>> around for that to happen is probably a waste.
>
> Yes, it is a necessary evil.  We'll have to live with it.  Apple
> isn't going to do a damned thing for us here, because they've had
> this particular design flaw since the beginning and have been aware
> of it for just about as long.

I agree with Bob, this is needed and it is unlikely that Apple will
change the OS for this. If if they would change the OS this wouldn't
change the current relase of OSX.

> I would think that most gdb users already know how to cross an
> execve, but maybe I'm wrong.

It's probably more that they don't expect and execv when they debug
python :-)

>> Also, what's the status of the MacPython branch vis a vis Python
>> 2.5? Are the needed changes already in the svn for python 2.5? Or
>> is the mac-specific branch going to stick around for a while? Just
>> curious.
>
> Python 2.5 will hopefully have universal capability, but AFAIK the
> patches are not yet integrated.  Ronald is/was working on this, but
> I'm not sure what his progress is.

I'm not making progress at the moment due to lack of time. I hope to
have some time for working on this during the Easter weekend.

Ronald