[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.3 vs 2.4

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Sun Apr 16 00:35:08 CEST 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 14:10, Troy Rollins wrote:

> The thing I'm slightly unclear about is the best way to change my
> path on OSX. Changing things like ~/.profile and ~/.bash_profile
> change it for the shell, but do not change it systemwide. I've
> modified my ~/.MacOSX.environment.plist, which seems to do the job,
> but is it the right way to do it?

Yes. It is the way to change it system wide for any applications the
do not check the $PATH environment variable.
And I think you meant ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist which is correct ;-)

I only change the environment in those two ways (shell vars and
environment.plist) and have no problems. And if I want a specific
Python, /usr/bin/python or /usr/local/bin/python finds the one I
intend to access. Maybe some of the more sage members of this
community have more detailed or better advice, but that's what I
recommend from my experience.