[Pythonmac-SIG] Using setup.py/distutils on Intel Macs

steve steve at gnulinux.net
Mon Apr 17 02:47:37 CEST 2006

Hello List,

I'm new here so please forgive me if this is a dupe question ....

I can't seem to install python source dists correctly. I follow:

python setup.py build
sudo python setup.py install

It installs cleanly except I notice "byte-compiling
build/bdist.darwin-8.6.1-Power_Macintosh" which seems very weird to me
-- that is comes up as Power_Macintosh.

When I start using the module I usually run into "ImportError:
Inappropriate file type for dynamic loading". Is there any workarounds?

This can be reproduced by downloading and installing the current stable
PIL src dist from source.

Thanks!
Steve Milner