[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing wxPython with ActivePython and OSX

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Mon Apr 17 20:44:24 CEST 2006

[Thomas Juntunen wrote]
> > I'm trying to get wxPython going with ActivePython, Komodo and
> > OSX.4.6
> >
> > The wx installer is installing to my framework "system" python (Apple
> > 2.3.5)
> >
> > Is there any way to get this to work with my setup?

wxPython on the Mac seems to be painful right now.

1. You need to get the correct build for your version of Python. For
   ActivePython 2.4.x or MacPython 2.4.x that means getting one of the
   builds with "-py24" in the package name.

2. They have "ansi" and "unicode" builds. From what I can tell the
   "ansi" builds are probably only useful for Mac OS X 10.2.x
   compatibility. If you are using Mac OS X 10.3 (Jaguar) or greater
   then I'd stick with the "unicode" builds.

> There are lots of packages available as pre-built binaries for Python 2.4.x
> on Tiger available here:
>
> http://pythonmac.org/packages/

3. There don't seem to be builds of wxPython for Mac OS X/Intel
   anywhere. The builds that they have up here for Mac OS X

    http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#binaries

   are for the PowerPC architecture. I'm not on the wxPython mailing
   lists so I don't know if there are Mac OS X/Intel builds hiding
   somewhere or in the works.

   I was able to install wxPython for Python 2.4:
        wxPython2.6-osx-unicode-2.6.3.2-macosx10.3-py2.4.dmg
   on Mac OS X 10.3/PowerPC and use it (only minor testing).

   Unfortunately I was also able to *install* it on Mac OS X 10.4/Intel
   but it doesn't work (importing "wx" fails) because the binary modules
   in wx are for ppc while the running Python is x86.

It looks like using wxPython on Mac OS X/Intel requires you to compile
it yourself from source:

        wxPython-src-2.6.3.2.tar.gz

Cheers,
Trent