[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython -- some disappointment using it.

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 18 23:02:41 CEST 2006

Louis Pecora wrote:
> I really do numerical calcs, but occasionally
> need a simple GUI dialog or open a window to plot in (very simple)

Take a look at wxmpl. It helps you embed a matplotlib window in a
wxPython app. It's pretty handy, once you get the hang of wxPython.
Also, depending on what kind of data you are looking at,
wx.lib.floatcanvas might be useful (shameless plug, I wrote it)

> I wish there were a way to keep the popup window with the
> traceback info open, but it quickly closes and the app quits.
> Redirecting found the error, but it is an extra step.

This is a BBEdit thing, really, I find it easiest just to run from the
terminal command line, and see your tracebacks there.

For really simple stuff, you can just:

app = wx.App()
image=wx.Image('/Users/louispecora/Code/python/test_folder/wxPython_learn/rappin_cover150.jpg',wx.BITMAP_TYPE_JPEG)
frame = Frame(image)
frame.Show()
app.MainLoop()

I'm pretty sure the default wx.App directs errors to the console.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov