[Pythonmac-SIG] Someone had PIL trouble on i386 10.4.6 Python 2.4 IIRC--I succeeded this evening

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Wed Apr 19 00:18:46 CEST 2006

Chris,

I will do that but as it stands, one has to build this on the system
it is going to run on, i.e. i386.
I assume, but haven't gotten around to trying to build this on my PPC
system since there is a valid build for that already.
First, I am going to create a package for this for i386-based Macs
and see if I can write a script to do the whole thing 'auto-
magically'. Then I'll write the instructions up.

Which leads me to a philosophical question for the community: which
makes since for things like this as a standard practice for
distribution (ranging from hardest to easiest) 1) to create a package
with copies of the libraries used as Universal 'FAT' binaries (zlib,
freetype2, jpeg-6b) not to mention PIL as well that will install
correctly for PPC or i386 systems but include useless binary versions
and take up space, 2)  have two separate 'chunks' and have the
installer select one based on the installation platform, or 3) just
provide two separate packages--one for i386 and one for PPC?

Daniel