[Pythonmac-SIG] Fixing the documentation...

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Apr 19 22:47:23 CEST 2006

On 19-apr-2006, at 22:23, has wrote:

> Ronald wrote:
>
>> Macpath deals with OS9/Carbon style paths (Volume:directory:file
>> instead of /Volume/directory/file).
>
> Don't know where you're seeing this; I've tried a few of the
> functions and none work with HFS-style paths, only POSIX-style
> paths. The documentation describes it as an OS9 implementation of
> os.path, which I take to mean same Python API, presumably bridged
> to from os.path, but a different underlying implementation to get
> around the lack of POSIX APIs in OS 9 and earlier.

 >>> help(macpath)

 >>> macpath.join('foo', 'bar')
':foo:bar'

macpath is what got used as os.path on MacOS9, just like posixpath is
os.path on unixy systems (including OSX) and ntpath is used on
windows. Those can be used directly to manipulate paths for other
platforms which is occasionally useful.

> I would imagine os.path just uses the standard Unix APIs on OS X,
> in which case this module is completely redundant and can be
> removed fairly quickly after deprecation.

Yes, os.path is posixpath on OSX.

>> Has can probably  comment on the usefulness of the rest of section 3.
>
> Way ahead of you already. :)
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2006-April/017046.html

I noticed ;-)

Ronald