[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: MacPython icon mockup

Jacob Rus jrus at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 21 06:56:45 CEST 2006

Brendan Simons wrote:
> I've attached a few more mockups using Jacob's excellent aquified
> logo.  Have a look here:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28928816@N00/132185325/
>
> In the spirit of open source, the layered psd files are available here:
> http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2CK5SUGTM74TH3OXH3WY6R8T66

That's great!  Putting ideas on paper will keep the ball rolling.  A few
comments:

  1. I just realized that I didn't mask some of the lighting effects in
     that "aquified logo", so there's some spillover into the space
     around it, which has since been fixed, in both [psd][1] and [png][2]
     versions online.
  2. Go ahead and use the [document icon psd][3] I put up as a base.  The
     template comes straight from Apple.  This will help, for instance,
     when you want to write stuff under the page turn, which is a
     separate layer on top complete with shadow.
  3. The logo on the .py icon seems a bit on the big side.  Almost all
     such icons are bigger than the AHIG recommends, but I think this is
     pushing it.
  4. I agree that the Idle icon should probably have some sort of
     technical pen.  Can someone find an image of one?
  5. I think we should put drop-shadows on the logos in the .py, Idle,
     and .pyc icons (instead of a stroke).
  6. I've never used .egg files, but this icon makes them look like
     installers.  Is that what they are?
  7. We still need a few more, like the drag-n-drop applet maker, the
     icons for the associated applets themselves.

In general though, looks good!

-Jacob