[Pythonmac-SIG] installer and .profile

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Apr 24 16:23:02 CEST 2006

I just noticed a small issue with the new universal installer.  It
adds a path to the python bin folder to the user's ~/.profile.

1. The Apple-default bash shell doesn't read .profile (doesn't for
me). (I think tcsh does, but I always used .login back then)

2. If it doesn't exist, .profile gets created with root ownership,
since the installer must autorize to install.

3. Symlinks to the python binaries are installed in /usr/local/bin
anyways.  So really the installer should check if /usr/lcoal/bin is
in the user's path.

Since a user can choose their shell, maybe it shouldn't be trying to
add to the user's path, but just tell the user that's what they need
to do.  Or if there is some way for the installer to figure out the
user's default shell (I know it's a setting in the netinfo database
for each user), the installer could intelligently edit the correct
shell init (ie .bash_profile).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy