[Pythonmac-SIG] Applets?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Apr 24 22:24:35 CEST 2006

On 24-apr-2006, at 20:31, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Along with the icon discussion (they look great, by the way) There has
> been a lot of mention of BuildApplet and Py2Applet, etc. I'm a bit
> confused as to what actually exists. This is my understanding --
> someone
> please clarify if I'm wrong:
>
> BuildApplication:  Builds a complete *.app bundle, including the
> entire
> python interpreter, etc. Is is not longer being maintained, and may or
> may not work in a given instance.

IIRC it is even worse than that, it may not have been ported from OS9
at all.

> BuildApplet: Builds a *.app bundle that does not include python, and
> thus looks and acts like a "real application", but requires a complete
> appropriate python installation. Also no longer maintained, and may or
> may not work.

This builds an application bundle that contains a single python file
and  depends on the installed python and site-packages to run.

> Oh, and BuildApplication and BuildApplet are not going to be
> included in
> future versions.

I'm entertaining the thought of dropping BuildApplet. But as it
solves a real need I might improve it instead (mostly testing and
better documentation).

Ronald