[Pythonmac-SIG] pycrypto and gcc 4

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Tue Apr 25 02:52:07 CEST 2006

Yesterday I attempted to install the pycrypto package. "setup.py
build" invoked gcc, which threw a huge number of errors on
signedness. As it was taco time, I left for the day.

Today, I read through some lists and the "signedness" errors for gcc
v4 sounded benign so I ran the build again. This time it sailed
through without errors. Feeling bold and a bit light on coffee, I set
aside the obvious concerns and ran "setup.py install". No errors were
raised.

Alas, my bubble of ignorance was burst rather quickly by IDLE.
"import Crypto.Cipher" fails on ImportError: No module named Crypto.
Crypto and other files are in site-packages.

I have the Universal-MacPython-2.4.3-2006-04-07 installed on Mac OS
10.4.6 PPC. I thought (hoped) that since pycrypto setup builds from
source I would slip through without a problem.

Ah, well, so, what to do next?

TIA,

  - Mark