[Pythonmac-SIG] Adding Apps - Pycrust too?

Brendan Simons brendansimons at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 26 00:04:59 CEST 2006

-On Apr 25, 2006, at 1:03 PM, Charles Hartman wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2006, at 3:40 PM, Brendan Simons wrote:
>
>> While you're (re)considering adding Build
Applet.app
>> to the distribution, can I suggest another useful
app?

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.6-osx-docs-
>> demos-2.6.3.2rc1-universal10.4-py2.4.dmg
>>
>> The source code is managed as part of wx.python,
but
>> this app in particular is pretty stable, and is
useful
>> outside of wx. (imho)
>>
>> It would be a lot nicer to send newbies to pycrust
>> then to the command line for their first look at
>> Python.
>
> As representative perpetual ignoramus & honorary
newbie, I agree. I
> never much noticed PyCrust until "wxPython in
Action" brought it to
> my attention, but I think it's great. For me, this
is the replacement
> for the late unlamented PythonIDE. And -- if I
understand rightly --
> because it doesn't have IDLE's Tkinter underpinnings
it doesn't make
> writing GUI code with wxPython difficult. (I suppose
its wxPython
> underpinnings could make it difficult to write
Tkinter code.)

>This is incorrect.  IDLE should work just fine with
wxPython, it runs
>code in a subprocess.  PyCrust on the other hand
probably does have
>problems, though.

>-bob

Just tried, and neither the IDLE nor PyCrust
interactive shells supports wx (or any other gui
framework) out of the box.  IDLE complains about
needing to use Pythonw, and PyCrust just hangs
(probably due to the issue Bob mentioned).

If the interactive shell in IDLE can be made to
interact with gui's, then it will do I suppose.  (It's
not as nice as PyCrust, but that's a killer feature).

Nevermind then,
   Brendan
--
Brendan Simons