[Pythonmac-SIG] The Universal Buld and py2app

Adam Tenderholt atenderholt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 08:42:53 CEST 2006

> Did you check out the trunk, or the maintenance branch?  The trunk is
> not usable.
>
> http://svn.red-bean.com/bob/py2app/branches/py2app-0.2-maint/

I did use the maintenance branch. Sorry, should have specified.

> Also, you probably shouldn't use Python 2.3.5 as shipped on intel
> macs.  It's got some known bugs (endian and otherwise) and is old,
> use the 2.4 universal build:
>
> http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/

I tried this version when I was struggling to get PyQt to work.
However, I couldn't get sip-4.4.1 to work properly with this version.
It compiled just fine, but whenever you tried to import the sip
moduled (ie. when PyQt is configured), it fails with the message:

"ImportError: Inappropriate file type for dynamic loading"

I asked on the PyKDE mailing list, and I was that something in the
flags you use makes it give that error, and that compiling from source
(enabling framework, make framework install) should fix it.
Unfortunately, I got an error when I tried compiling from source:

/usr/bin/ld: warning Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python cputype (18,
architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag:
i386 (file not loaded)
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_PyMac_Error
_Py_Main
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It looks like this is due to ppc being specified somewhere. I didn't
see an easy to way to tell configure that I wanted i386 instead of
ppc. Is there a flag I can pass to the configure script, or do I have
to do a "CFLAGS=-arch i386" and CXXFLAGS='-arch i386'? And how do I
make this a universal app?

Thanks for your help,

Adam