[Pythonmac-SIG] multi-platform Python distributions question

chip nyman chipartist at metrocast.net
Wed Apr 26 20:16:43 CEST 2006

Mark and Chris, thanks for your interest. Here's some in-depth info about my
project.

I've designed a desktop applet that displays custom artwork and interface
elements, and incorporates a modified calendar control from the wxPython
demo as a basis for its calendar grid implementation. Basically this applet
is intended to mimic to some degree an "ink-on-paper" wall calendar of the
variety that usually uses themed graphics as decorations. The applet is
initially to be used to display artwork produced by members of an artists'
web community I frequent, conceptart.org, but can be adapted to display any
graphics that can be "modulized" with image2py. The interface artwork is
also so modulized, so that can also be easily customized. The applet is
designed to adjust itself to any size and aspect ratio of art, within
reasonable limits (even unreasonable if the artwork is properly modified for
inclusion), with partially-fixed-size regions dedicated to the UI.
Currently, to avoid the need for complex graphics code for resampling and
scaling the artwork, the displayed artwork is fixed in scale, with no
allowance for dynamic adaptation to monitor size. Artwork modules for
different screen resolutions are the alternate solution, a bit inelegant in
terms of coding but better for proper display of the art, which is the
driving purpose for the calendar applet. The applet windows cannot be
dynamically resized, for much the same reason. There is functionality for
marking and adding short text notes to selected dates on the calendar
control, which is accessed on user demand.

The applet is designed to be platform non-specific, using borderless or
simple-border frames and avoiding as much as possible platform dependencies
in terms of interface controls, which are very rudimentary. In its current
implementation, there are no user menus, and only three main interface
buttons -- Close, Minimize, and Open Calendar Grid. A TaskBarIcon provides
user control as well, for Close, Minimize and Restore commands. The calendar
control itself employs the date navigation functions from the wxPython demo
(calendar window version), with modified date marking code, and new code to
permit input, recording and reading w/output of the date-selective text
notes. Two pickled text files with custom (though rather simple) formatting
rules are used for persistent data: the calendar text notes and the closing
position of the applet.

I've only been using Python since the first of this month, so I've depended
heavily on adaptation of existing modules when feasible, drawing mainly from
the wxPython GUI library. Originality is in the interface design and its
visual character, in the scripting to maintain the frames hierarchy the
visual design requires, and in the date marking functions added to (or
modified from) the calendar control.

Distribution of the applet will be international and multi-platform,
reflecting the wide member base of conceptart.org. An informal survey has
already identified Win98, WinXP (home and Pro), Mac OSX 10.3.9 and above,
and Debian Linux as platforms in use by the members, so I need some
assistance in prepping distribution packages that do not require separate
installations of Python 2.4 and wxPython 2.6 Unicode (though the Win98
version will likely be wxPython ANSI). So far I've done successful test
builds for the WinXP and Win98 platforms using py2exe.

Since I am primarily a CG artist, I don't maintain multi-platform systems
for my programming efforts (which in the past have included TcL-based
plugins and RealBasic standalones for Mac OS 9.x, and UnrealScript for
game-specific coding on Windows), so instead I'm seeking the assistance of
interested Python community members. I chose Python as the implementing code
base because my research indicated it is very flexible, has a respectable
documentation database (essential for a novice such as I), and is very
similar in syntax and abstract structure to the other scripting languages
I've used.

The applet is to be distributed free of charge, as a vehicle for promoting
contributing artists from conceptart.org. Contributors to the packaging
efforts will of course be credited if so desired. My current functionality
status is unreleased beta; my plans are to release the beta for testing by
the end of April. Beta testers will be chosen primarily from the
conceptart.org membership, the initial target audience for the applet, but I
would of course welcome feedback from the Python community as well.

I hope that answers most questions. I can provide URLs to forum threads on
conceptart.org that have some details about the look of the beta if that is
of further interest.

chip