[Pythonmac-SIG] Appscript, adding files to iTunes

Daniel Thorpe danthorpe at zepler.net
Thu Apr 27 03:08:12 CEST 2006

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with an Appscript / iTunes
utility I'm trying to write. Does anyone know how I add m4a files to
my iTunes library using appscript?

So far, I have a list of filenames, which I want to add to my library
(which I've got a reference to). According to app('iTunes').add.help
() I have to pass the function a list of Alias(s). I think this means
Finder alias files, but I can't seem to be able to create them using
app('Finder').make().

This is my code so far....

import os,
from optparse import OptionParser
from appscript import *

def getListOfFinderItems(directory):
	files = ["%s%s" % (directory, file,) for file in os.listdir(directory)]

	#	Need to make a list of 'alias files'

	Finder = app('Finder')
#	Finder.make.help()
#	aliases = [None] * len(files)
#	for i,file in enumerate(files):
#		Finder.make(new=k.alias_file,at=aliases[i],to=file)

	return aliases

def addToiTunes(directory):
	audiofiles = getListOfFinderItems(directory)

	iTunesApp = app('iTunes')

	for src in iTunesApp.sources.get():
		if src.kind.get() == k.library:
			iTunesLib = src.playlists[1].get()
			break

#	iTunesApp.add.help()
	iTunesLib.add.help()

if __name__ == "__main__":

	parser = OptionParser()
	parser.add_option("-f",	"--folder",	dest="folder",	help="Select the
folder containing audio files.")

	(options, args) = parser.parse_args()

	addToiTunes(options.folder)

Cheers