[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript questions

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Aug 3 22:13:22 CEST 2006

On Aug 3, 2006, at 7:08 PM, has wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Getting appscript prepared for the next release (only a couple away
> from beta now), and wondering if anyone has preferences on the
> following:
>
> 1. If a local application quits while a script is using it, either
> unexpectedly or because the client script sent a 'quit' command,
> should appscript relaunch that application automatically the next
> time it sends a command to it, or should the application stay quit
> unless the client script deliberately restarts it (by sending a
> 'run'/'open'/'activate'/'launch' command)?
>
> (Automatic restarts, which is what AppleScript does, are more
> convenient. However, if an application quit unexpectedly you probably
> want it to stay quit and have the script halt with an error the next
> time it tries to interact. So I'm more inclined towards the latter,
> but would like to know what others think.)

If AppleScript automaticly restarts applications at least some users
will think that not restarting is bug.  OTOH if you automaticly
restart an application its state might be different than the script
expects, which could cause problems.

I'm not a heavy appscript user, so I can't really say that I care one
way or the other.

> 2. I'm looking to downgrade, if not eliminate, the role of ASTS. It's
> no longer needed for remote scripting (good, as there were issues
> when running it on remote machines with multiple active users), and a
> 3x speedup in appscript's terminology retrieval and parsing times
> mean it provides less of a performance benefit when scripting local
> apps. Three options I see:

I'd drop ASTS if it isn't really needed. I use appscript without ASTS
and the startup time has never really bothered me. If the new version
starts up significantly faster I don't see a good reason for
retaining ASTS.  I also like the "complete foolproof" part of not
having ASTS :-)

> p.s. If anyone'd like to help me out a bit, I'd really like to get
> all the manuals into the standard Python documentation format now. So
> if you're familiar with the tools and would like to have a go then
> let me know - it'd be much appreciated.

Why do you want to do that?  You have to use special tools to convert
that to a useable format.

Ronald