[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: ScrIDE 0.4

gandreas at gandreas.com gandreas at gandreas.com
Fri Aug 4 22:57:34 CEST 2006

On Aug 4, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2006, at 11:32 AM, gandreas at gandreas.com wrote:
>
>> Version 0.4, the "PyOXIDE replacement" IDE is now available - it
>> fixed several problems with 0.3, adds "context sensitive object
>> info details" (to both the rich shells as well as debugger), and
>> the ability to browse the variables in a rich shell (using a
>> variable display like the debugger).
>>
>> ScrIDE is an extensible generic scripting IDE (currently focused
>> on Python, though other scripting languages will eventually be
>> further supported), including an editor with syntax coloring,
>> popup function, included file popups, split panes, calltips,
>> completion, etc... interactive shells (again, with completion,
>> syntax coloring, object info), source level debugger,
>> documentation browser, and other tools.
>
> It might make more sense if ScrIDE's default Python interpreter was
> the newest one installed, rather than the system default. Typically
> if someone has Python 2.4 installed, they don't want anything to do
> with the Python 2.3 in /usr/bin.

ScrIDE uses whatever you last explicitly set as your Python version
for anything that doesn't have an explicit version set (so if you
change it to "local 2.4", all future files and files that you haven't
set your version will use "local 2.4").  So you'd typically only have
to change that once (in general, everything follows the "if something
is explicitly set and saved, it stays like that until changed - if
nothing is explicitly set, it uses whatever was last explicitly set")

Still, changing the order of the elements in ScrIDEVersionPrefixList
(found in the Python plugin Info.plist) to alter the search order is
trivial.  Of course, this assume a fully logical search order exists
- should a locally installed (but potentially unstable) 2.5 be
preferred over a locally installed (but stable) 2.4?  And what about
a system provided 2.4 that might be found in some future release?

And since I've needed at times to do Quartz scripting, saying "don't
want anything to do with 2.3" isn't entirely accurate either...

> Also, you really shouldn't mix tabs and spaces in your source code.
> Ick.

I'm going to blame that fuglyness on XCode (one of the many reasons I
hate editing Python code in XCode) - it's impractical to use ScrIDE
to edit its own code because to do the "edit, build, run" cycle you'd
have to close and reopen all your files each cycle (and if something
bad breaks, you won't be able to reopen the files at all), and trying
to run with two different versions of the same app is a invitation to
certain madness...

Glenn Andreas                      gandreas at gandreas.com
  <http://www.gandreas.com/> wicked fun!
quadrium2 | build, mutate, evolve, animate  | images, textures,
fractals, art