[Pythonmac-SIG] controlling iTunes with appscript

Craig Amundsen cdamundsen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 17:00:53 CET 2006

Hi -

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 07:45:38PM -0800, Craig Amundsen wrote:

> Yeah, you can't do this.  If you look in the dictionary (for example,
> opening it in Script Editor), you'll see:
>
> location (alias, r/o) : the location of the file represented by this track
>
> The location property is read only.

I was afraid of that. Thanks for letting me know.

The only way I can think to move files across disks in iTunes and have
> the references stay intact is to use the "Consolidate Library"
> command.  To do that, reset the iTunes Music Library location
> (Preferences > Advanced > General) to where you want the files to go,
> then choose "Consolidate Library" from the Advanced menu, and all your
> music will move there.

I've tried that. I'm trying to move my library from one external Firewire
drive to an external RAID1 setup. Doing the consolidate moved about 10% of
the files and then crapped out with an error that said something about being
able to read/write a drive. Repeated attempts to consolidate the library now
die with the read/write error immediately. I don't think it's a problem with
either drive since I can read and write from both of them. It may be that
RAID is too slow to keep up with whatever iTunes is trying to do. I was
hoping I could do a manual copy and then update all the locations via
appscript. This having the advantage of allowing me to preserve metadata. I
guess it's time to forget about the metadata since I'm not going to do the
one-at-a-time location update from within iTunes.

- Craig