[Pythonmac-SIG] eggs and extraction

belinda thom bthom at cs.hmc.edu
Sun Dec 10 02:37:39 CET 2006

Hi,

I've installed matplotlib from http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-
fat/. Things are running finally. [Details: I ran into a problem
where backend TkAgg and numerix Numeric didn't get along; to the best
of my knowledge this problem is undocumented; my stuff worked w/TkAgg
only after I changed to numerix numpy; I couldn't get wxPython w/
matplotlib and WXAgg to work at all].

Now I can't figure out how to access the documentation. Part of the
problem is that I'm pretty confused about what an egg is (I've
scanned easy_install and distutil related stuff, but learned little;
I'm not even sure where to look; Google often brings up content that
deals w/chicken eggs :-)

In particular, I wanted to look at matplotlib's two_scales.py. In
site-packages, I've got a matplotlib-0.87.7-py2.4.egg-info/
SOURCES.txt, which contains the line:

   examples/two_scales.py

I had thought perhaps:

   easy_install -editable matplotlib-0.87.7-py2.4.egg-info/

would do the trick, but it complains:

   error: No urls, filenames, or requirements specified (see --help)

What do I have to do to install all the examples onto my machine?

Thanks,

--b