[Pythonmac-SIG] eggs and extraction

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 02:56:07 CET 2006

belinda thom wrote:
> I had thought perhaps:
>
>    easy_install -editable matplotlib-0.87.7-py2.4.egg-info/
>
> would do the trick, but it complains:
>
>    error: No urls, filenames, or requirements specified (see --help)

And the appropriate form for this command is the following:

[src]$ easy_install --editable -b . matplotlib
Searching for matplotlib
Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/matplotlib/
Reading http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net
Reading
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=82474
Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/matplotlib/0.87.7
Best match: matplotlib 0.87.7
Downloading
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/matplotlib/matplotlib-0.87.7.tar.gz?modtime=1161866270&big_mirror=0
Processing matplotlib-0.87.7.tar.gz

Extracted editable version of matplotlib to ./matplotlib

If it uses setuptools in its setup script, you can activate it in
"development" mode by going to that directory and running::

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
setup.py develop

See the setuptools documentation for the "develop" command for more info.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco