[Pythonmac-SIG] CPython on Mac OSX

Gen Kazama generalkernel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 22:19:20 CET 2006

Hi I'm running python 2.3 on 10.4.  i made an application using a C
backend and a python frontend.

This is a school project and although it works perfectly on the
school computers, i have trouble compiling the C code correctly on
the mac to make it into a python module (maybe this is because the
school computers used python 2.4-ie, an updated version of Python.h).

Anyway here is how I compile it at school:

         gcc -I /usr/include/python2.4 -c mandel.c
         gcc -shared mandel.o -o mandel.so

which works with no flaws.  then , I try compiling it on my mac:

         gcc -I /usr/include/python2.3 -c mandel.c
         gcc mandel.o -o mandel.so

(note: -shared wasn't found on my mac for some reason). I get the
following errors:

/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_main
_PyArg_ParseTuple
_PyInt_FromLong
_PyString_FromString
_PyTuple_New
_PyTuple_SetItem
_Py_InitModule4
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If anyone could tell me how to compile this C code into a python
module on my mac, i would greatly appreciate it.  thanks!