[Pythonmac-SIG] CPython on Mac OSX

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Dec 14 11:31:17 CET 2006

The best way to do this is using distutils, which is the standard
python package for building and installing python packages.

The document at <http://docs.python.org/ext/building.html> should get
you going.

To quote from that, create a setup.py containing:

#BEGIN OF FILE

module1 = Extension('demo',
                     sources = ['mandel.c'])

setup (name = 'MandelPackage',
        version = '1.0',
        description = 'This is a demo package',
        ext_modules = [module1])
#END OF FILE

If you want to install the extension: 'python setup.py install'. This
will install it into the site-packages directory.

If you create a setup.cfg containing the text below you can use
'python setup.py build' to build the extension in the current directory

# setup.cfg
[build_ext]
inplace = 1
# end setup.cfg