[Pythonmac-SIG] Hello, and Wiki vandalism

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Dec 30 04:35:26 CET 2006

On 12/29/06, Uche Ogbuji <uche at ogbuji.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just switched to a MacBook Pro for my primary dev box, so I guess I'll
> be hanging out here.  I was trying to get started and went to the WIki,
> the FAQ in particular
>
> http://pythonmac.org/wiki/FAQ
>
> The page was spammed/vandalized on the 18th.  I checked recent changes
> and a lot of pages got this treatment in mid-December,.  I'm surprised
> they haven't been fixed, considering the importance of these pages.  I
> know it's probably just a lack of volunteer time but I also know
> MoinMoin has some serviceable anti-spam features.  I tried to fix the
> FAQ page myself reverting to the pre-spam version, but there seems to be
> some bug where preview shows the fixed version, but when I submit, it
> seems to be re-submitting the spam version.  Really strange.  Leaves me
> wondering what's the status of admin on the wiki.
>
> Thanks, and happy hols, all.

The version of MoinMoin that's running on doesn't have anti-spam
features. It's OLD. If someone with MoinMoin experience wants to take
over managing the wiki I'd be all for that, but I can't set that up
until after Jan 3.

I've been away from the country all month (and am still away), and in
general I don't have much time for the wiki. I definitely can't do
anything about it until next year because I'm in Shanghai and the
earthquake in Taipei basically took out the route between China and
the US (~80% packet loss). The ISPs out here aren't smart enough or
just don't want to pay extra peering costs so it doesn't seem like
they're going to route around the problems. The undersea cables won't
be fixed for weeks.

On top of all that my MacBook Pro's power supply melted and they
charge nearly twice what it costs in the US for one out here
(infinitely more considering a replacement would be free at home), so
it's hard to get at my SSH keys right now... even if I could make a
working TCP connection to the states (if only Google had a proxy).