[Pythonmac-SIG] best way to install packages?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Feb 3 19:37:29 CET 2006

On 3-feb-2006, at 18:09, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Andrew Jaffe wrote:
>
>> I originally posted this in a different thread, but I realize that
>> the
>> first post was about 10 levels deep, so possibly ignored by people
>> who
>> might care or be able to help (or possibly just ignored as a dumb
>> question). Anyway, is there a 'best' way to install python packages
>> on a
>> mac nowadays? It seems that there at least three possibilities:
>>
>>    - plain old setup.py install
>>    - bdist_mpkg
>>    - eggs (in which case I realize I'm not sure I know exactly
>> *how* to
>> do this)
>>
>> I've been using bdist_mpkg a lot recently, but this discussion is
>> making
>> me think it may not the preferred way. Any opinions? (There was one
>> answer in favor of plain-old setup.py install.)
>
> Whichever one works.
>
> setup.py install works for everything, but you might need to specify
> --install-scripts in order to make the scripts get installed to a
> useful location.  bdist_mpkg does that for you.

Depends on what you find a useful location :-). I've used my unix-fu
to add the bin directory inside the python framework to my PATH. That
way my python stuf is nicely in one place and I don't have to worry
about 'python2.3 setup.py install' replacing files I had earlier
installed
using  python2.4.

> Some packages are dumb and don't really use distutils, like Twisted,
> so bdist_mpkg doesn't work everywhere.
>
> setuptools is a bit more sensitive to distutils abuse and definitely
> doesn't like Twisted, but also doesn't like some other packages like
> Zope.Interface (IIRC).  If you want to learn more about setuptools
> from a user's perspective, read the EasyInstall documentation.  If
> you want to learn about it from a developer's perspective, read the
> setuptools and PkgResources documentation.
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources
>
> Personally, I've been using setuptools for everything lately because
> it deals with a few issues like dependencies and development
> builds.    It's not yet ready for everyone all the time, but it's
> clearly the future.

+1

Ronald