[Pythonmac-SIG] building universal binaries

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Feb 4 11:57:48 CET 2006

On 4-feb-2006, at 11:16, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2006, at 1:29 AM, Nicholas Riley wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:41:32AM +0100, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>> An alternative to fat might be 'ppc,i386'. That is longer, but is
>>> clearer about which architectures are supported (just in case
>>> someone
>>> decides to donate support for a threeway universal build). Patching
>>> setuptools to know that an architecture string that contains a comma
>>> is actually a list of architectures shouldn't be too hard.
>>
>> This sounds like a good idea, and this is not just a legacy issue
>> with
>> ppc64 - we'll likely have a 64-bit x86 Mac variant to handle within
>> the year.
>
> Even more reason to leave fat as ppc,i386 -- which are all 32 bit
> builds...  Currently, I'm pretty sure ppc64 won't even build at all.

So what? "fat" or "universal" is ambigious, "i386,ppc" is not. That
seems a good
reason to adapt the more verbose label to me, especially in the
context of setuptools.

If someone were to donate a patch for a ppc64 universal build[*] it
will also
require an architecture label, if it were to reuse 'fat' you'd get
two types of
universal eggs: ones that support ppc64 and ones that don't.  That's
no good if you
want to support automatic installation, as setuptools does. An
explicit list of supported
architectures is forward compatible and doesn't require more work
right now: just
do a global substitute that replaces 'fat' by 'i386,ppc' and you're
done. Inserting
logic that treats 'i386,ppc' can be done when adding the hypothetical
ppc64 build I
mentioned earlier.

Ronald

[*] which won't be me, it seems that I'll be skipping the entire G5
generation