[Pythonmac-SIG] First experiences with the python24-fat tree.

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Feb 4 21:02:06 CET 2006

test_email is failing, this is due to a bad checkin: the files in Lib/
test/data should be checked in as binary files and are not

The attached python2.4-readline-searchpath.patch makes sure we pick
up libreadline.a from LDFLAGS in preference of the system
libreadline.dylib

The attached patches python2.4-weaklinking.patch makes it possible to
run 'regrtest -uall' on OSX 10.3 systems. IMO this patch needs work,
I'd be surprised if it were accepted into the python repository as is.

What I don't quite understand is that the latter patch doesn't quite
work: the i386 contains weak links to fstatvfs and other 10.4-only
symbols, but the ppc version does not. A small test program does work
correctly.

testfile.c:
#pragma weak fstatvfs

#include <sys/statvfs.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main (void)
{
         printf("%p\n", fstatvfs);
         return 0;
}
// EOF

Compile this with 'MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 gcc -arch i386 -arch
ppc -o testfile testfile.c -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.4u.sdk'. 'nm -arch ppc -pm testfile.c | grep statvfs'
clearly shows that statvfs is weakly linked. Yet 'nm -arch ppc -pm
Modules/posixmodule.o' shows a hard link and 'nm -arch i386 -pm
Modules/posixmodule.o' shows a weak link again. What's even stranger
is that weaklinking works properly again if I create a PPC only build
by first configure-ing for a universal build and then removing '-arch
i386' from the toplevel Makefile.

Ronald