[Pythonmac-SIG] pkg_resources and Mac OS X compatibility

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Feb 5 23:00:20 CET 2006

With the way that we're returning the distutils platform on the
universal branch of Mac OS X, we need another patch to
pkg_resources.  The reason for this is that
distutils.util.get_platform() returns the platform that it is trying
to produce binaries for, which is often not the exact current
platform.  More specifically, our current strategy is to produce a
version of Python that will build extensions that are compatible with
Mac OS X 10.3, but the actual building of extensions requires Mac OS
X 10.4 or later (because the toolchain doesn't exist on Mac OS X 10.3).

In some rare cases, people will want to produce packages that
explicitly require Mac OS X 10.4 or later, which they can do by
setting the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 environment variable when
running setup.py.  This will influence the value returned by
disutils.util.get_platform(), and will influence the compiler and
linker if extensions are built.

This patch adds an internal _get_max_platform(plat) function that
returns the actual runtime version of Mac OS X, for use in
compatible_platforms.