[Pythonmac-SIG] install again?

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Feb 7 00:16:56 CET 2006

Christopher Barker wrote:

> I don't think there is blaming: more like expression of frustration and
> suggestions for improvement.
>
> Charles, if you want to help, here's my suggestion:
>
> Re-write the main pythonmac.org page, then post your version to this
> list for discussion. If it is well liked, Bob has already said he'd
> be glad to replace the current page.
>
> Here are my suggestions for a how to write that page:
>
> Welcome to Python on the Mac!
>
> Intro-
>    links to other python resources, etc.
>
> What Python should I use?
>    -- brief discussion of the options.
>

>    --The "Recommended Option" -- for users without special needs or
> newbies that don't know what they need
>    ----- Link to Binary Python 2.4.* installer
>    ----- Instructions of stuff to do after installing:
>          -- Install TigerPython24Fix
>          -- Add /usr/local/bin to your PATH
>          -- Note: couldn't those steps be optionally done by the installer?
>    ----- Link to Collection of packages on Pythonmac.org
>
>    ----- Link to Wiki pages for people that need to use other Pythons.
> Perhaps build instructions, etc.
>
> What do I do now?
>    -- How to run from command line
>    -- IDE/editor options
>    -- Pointers to "learn python" resources
>
> NOTE: I think we can recommend the same thing at this point for all
> users of OS-X 10.3 and 10.4. It also looks like the new Universal build
> may become the news recommended Python for OS-X 10.3.9 and above, but
> it's not ready yet.
>
> I was thinking of a decision tree, based on what version of OS-X you're
> running, and what you want to do (web development, GUI programming,
> etc), but I think we can, in fact have a single setup that will be best
> for most people running 10.3 and greater, so we can keep it simple.
>
> -Chris

Chris,  This is right on the money and would be a GREAT start.  Newbies
could get up and running much faster instead of running away as some do
now.  I guess you hit the problem right when you asked, who has the time
to do it?  You at least have provided a very good outline for a starting
page.  I sympathize with Mr. Hartman and have felt the same frustrations
while simultaneously appreciating and admiring the work you, Bob I.,
Robert Kern, and many others do to keep things running and current.  So
it is with very mixed feelings that any of us mere users post a
complaint.  You got it right, though.  It is not a complaint, but a
frustration that, if addressed even at the simple level you suggest,
will bring many new people into Python.  Now, if I only had the time and
knowledge to fill in your outline.  Sigh.  Thank you.

--
Cheers,

Lou Pecora

Code 6362