[Pythonmac-SIG] install again?

lanceboyle at qwest.net lanceboyle at qwest.net
Tue Feb 7 01:32:55 CET 2006

I agree pretty much completely with Charles Harman, Bill Janssen, and
others. I learned programming in 1974 and have programmed ever since
for my own engineering work. I use and have used many languages,
trying to pick the best one for the job. I have gripes with many of
the specialized languages/environments meant for technical work, so I
prefer to work in a "real" language. For many years that was Pascal,
and nowadays it's mostly Ada (not intended as a slight to Python).

But I digress. Having Unix under the Mac has been a great boon in the
availability of software. (I wouldn't, for example, be using free GNU
Ada otherwise.) But I find myself spending far more time pissing
around with the compiler/OS etc. than I used to in the old days. This
is not progress. Not to ruffle feathers, but to offer a constructive
criticism: The Unix culture and the Macintosh culture are at odds
with one another. It is _not_ necessary to program with a good
language while suffering the details of what's under the hood. As
examples of this, I offer the much-missed THINK Pascal. (See the
several threads on THINK Pascal on the MacPascal list.) This was the
epitome of power and ease-of-use, in my opinion. I suspect (I have
only played with it) that another example is REALbasic, recently
Cocoa-able.

Every time I bring this topic up in a Unix-y setting (SciPy
recently), I get slammed. So please listen. Try to make software that
can be used by people who aren't part of the "inside" crowd. This
requires letting go of your ego and imagining what the world looks
like from their viewpoint. Pretend you're setting up airport traffic
signs for people from out of town, not the locals. Make an Installer
for Dummies. Make an IDE that works in the Mac way. (Where are you,
Glenn?) Make Cocoa access automatic with the installation. Make a
simplified, high-level Cocoa-based GUI API. Make an easy and cohereht
add-on method. Make adding SciPy and Chaco a no-brainer. (Oops--wrong
list.) Never require a user to build his/her own software. Don't
expand the user's lexicon with the likes of mpkg, egg, setuptools,
patches, distutils, and so on.

You are making end-user software. Remember that most of the people
who use or would use Python don't program for a living, or don't even
like to program--they do it because they have to.

Hell, go get THINK Pascal and see what I'm talking about. (E.g., the
entire Toolbox was predefined. The debugger was sublime.) It's free
now, long ago abandoned but still used and supported by fans who are
loath to run OS 9 but for it.

Python with a good Mac-way IDE has so much potential to reach the
same usability as THINK Pascal did in 1984.

And of course, thanks to the dedicated people who make it possible
for me have anything at all to on which to suggest improvements. 8^)

Jerry