[Pythonmac-SIG] a beginner's list

Chris Porter chrisporter9 at wi.rr.com
Wed Feb 8 06:13:50 CET 2006

I'm afraid this criticism is spot on. I got a python program from a programmer.
I want to run it on my Mac. And here, Mac comes with Python! Very nice.
That shouldn't be downplayed. All I needed was the Python that was already
installed, plus a couple added things. (I needed Python to talk to MySQL, and
that I had to install MySQL, so there was likely no native ability to do so on
the Mac I've got.)

So the Python I'm using is Mac's own, and it runs my programmer's code
lickety split. From a few hours frustrated search on the web, to a couple
of posts on this list and a few minutes installing libraries and ... stuff, and
that's all it took to get me to be a "Python user" (yes, I can hear my programmer
snorting from here). A nice web page with something like all the suggestions
below, and also a way to use the Python installed would be both enticing and useful.

Maybe something about "If your goal is...
to create programs, see here.
to run programs, see here.
to have Python interact with other programs on your Mac, see here.
to install new versions, see here.
to update your version, see here.
to add special libraries, see here.

For neat programs or utilities that help you use Python on your Mac...
A List of jargon...
(what's a library? IDE? those strange letters in front of Python? a fix? a framework? an egg?)