[Pythonmac-SIG] New Page, first proposal

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Wed Feb 8 20:38:19 CET 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 2:26 PM, Dethe Elza wrote:

> Hmmm.  If they don't know that Python is a programming language, why
> are they here?  Familiarity with the terminal app and knowing how to
> save python as a text file are certainly prerequisites at this point
> though.

I agree with the first point -- we're not looking *that* broadly for
a Python audience.

But my main motive for working on this question is the hope that the
second point will *not* be true. One characteristic of the Mac-user-
just-coming-to-Python audience that I'm aiming to help, or entice, or
at least not alienate, is unfamiliarity at the Terminal that may
inclulde distaste and border on panic.

Terminal is Unix. OS X is not, in a sense. Some people have come to
Mac now that its OS is "really" Unix. A much larger number --
including, I believe, a fair number of potential Python programmers
-- come to OS X from OS 9 or System 7 or 8 or Apple ][. I just don't
believe it should be necessary for those people, at first, to take on
even the beginnings of Unix in order to brave taking on Python. (We
can sucker 'em in to the delights of the command line later on.)

Charles