[Pythonmac-SIG] New Page, first proposal

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Wed Feb 8 23:42:26 CET 2006

I'm afraid that you're right about this, and I think it's the biggest
obstacle to the project of getting (non-Unix) Mac users interested in
Python when they go looking for a language, or just looking to get
started on programming.

Does the old PythonIDE come with OSX's Python?

I really feel -- do people really think I'm wrong about this? -- that
even PythonIDE, limited as it is, is a better beginners'
recommendation than the Terminal.

The trouble with the Terminal -- from the point of view of the dyed-
in-the-wool Mac user I'm talking about -- is twofold:
	diverted from your enthusiasm for learning Python, you have to learn
a new
		operating system interface ("how do I see what folder I'm in and
what files
		are in it?"); and
	you can get yourself into trouble. ("I had to learn sudo to do X,
and it's great,
		and now I'm going to try . . .")
This is why people are afraid of Terminal, and the fear isn't
*totally* irrational.

Charles