[Pythonmac-SIG] a beginner's list

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Thu Feb 9 01:22:27 CET 2006

Hi Chris,

On Feb 8, 2006, at 2:42 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Kevin Ollivier wrote:
>> As does just explicitly upgrading your Python. I don't see why it's
>> breaking if you install Leopard, but upgrading if you install
>> MacPython
>> 2.4 from pythonmac.org. Either way, your 2.3 extensions don't work
>> and
>> you have to start from scratch. And either way, if you thought things
>> would "just work" you're in for a rude awakening.
>>
>> So what's the difference?
>
> The difference is that when you upgrade OS-X to leopard, you may or
> may
> not know that you are upgrading Python, and if you did know, you
> may not
> want to.

I do get your point about allowing people to postpone upgrades, but
what I don't like is how you phrase it - you're talking about
"keeping Apple Python from breaking your extensions". My point is:
When people upgrade Python, anyway, anyhow, their extensions will
break. MacPython 2.4 doesn't do anything more or less than Apple's
Python in stopping that; it simply lets you put off upgrading your
Python should you want to do so.

Python extensions always break when you upgrade the major Python
version. Users *should* be aware of this, regardless of what platform
they use or where they get their Python from. I really don't think
they should be told it is something only to worry about when using
Apple's Python. There is nothing OS X specific about this problem at
all, and nothing Apple can do to resolve the problem except stop
updating Python or stop bundling, both of which would be very bad.

Thanks,

Kevin