[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Chris Porter chrisporter9 at wi.rr.com
Thu Feb 9 20:08:10 CET 2006

> I fixed a couple of the problems Bob noted, and added some links to
> pictures (how to start the Terminal, and what the IDLE IDE looks
> like).

I like it.

> I'm conflicted about "pythonw".  On the one hand, this works for
> everything, whereas "python" doesn't.  On the other hand, why isn't
> this just what "python" invokes, and how do we explain that to people?

Is it used a lot? Then you would probably need to describe both, with
something like:

"You can run a Python interpreter by double-clicking on Applications / Utilities / Terminal, then
typing "python" or "pythonw" into the window that opens up. Typing "pythonw" will prompt
Terminal to provide the subsequent python prompt to.... (do whatever it is that pythonw does)"
Otherwise, the normal "python" prompts will not be able to (do whatever it is that pythonw does)
Most people find that typing "pythonw" gives them more options they find useful when programming
in python."

> Another example of the surface complexity of the MacPython
> infrastructure.

I would suggest this:

"On MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger) you can even bring up a simple IDE by typing, at the prompt,"
"On MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger) you can even bring up a simple Integrated Developement Environment (IDE) by
typing, at the prompt,"