[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Feb 9 21:38:01 CET 2006

> Python does not currently have an official Mac maintainer.

Bingo!  And no one has stepped up to document the amazing torrent of
productive activity since Jack "retired".  As a result, the useful
pieces are scattered all over, the official documentation is wildly
out of date, and there's not even a useful web page for MacPython.

Add to this the fact that the pre-installed Python is widely held to
be useless by well-respected and influential members of the community.
A parochial and self-defeating assessment, I think.

By the way, is anyone a designated point-man to work with Apple on the
release it packages for the next OS?  Is there anyone from Apple even
on this list?

> Clearly the current distribution and the people responsible for it
> aren't going very far to serve newbies...

It's worse than that, IMO.

I've got a great deal of respect and appreciation for those, like Bob
and Ronald, working hard on advancing the technology pieces.  Great
work, just what we all need!  But unless there's some effective
delivery vehicle for getting that work to the customer, much of it
will be wasted.

Bill