[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Feb 9 22:33:17 CET 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 12:20 PM, I. Vinogradov wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 20:29:34 PST
>  Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
>> I've made up a sample page, at
>> http://bill.janssen.org/new-macpython-page.html.
>
> What about other sources for python2.4 such as fink and darwinports?
> Will they be frown upon or required to comply with framework
> installation?

It's the job of Fink or DarwinPorts to sustain their Python
communities.  There are already too many choices, I'd really like to
avoid even more confusion.  Also, the topic of Fink and DarwinPorts
rarely ever comes up on this list, so there isn't much reason for us
to bother.

The way that Python is used in such an environment is closer to how
it is used on a Linux or BSD distribution, given that it has managed
packages and is only usable from a shell.  They are also like a
separate operating system, typically the only library they use from
Mac OS X is libSystem -- they duplicate almost everything else.

I don't know if anything has changed in the past two years, but
neither offered a framework build last I checked -- which means that
neither are capable of running GUI applications from the shell
(unless X11 counts).  You can still technically use them to build GUI
apps via py2app, but I certainly wouldn't recommend either of those
platforms for that purpose.  If you do happen to build a
redistributable app with DarwinPorts or Fink, you'll essentially be
redistributing an OS and a Python interpreter because those systems
have their own versions of almost everything.