[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Feb 9 22:39:28 CET 2006

> Now, what I really want to see added is something that explains how I
> can write a program in Python on the Mac and create standalone
> applications that can run on someone else's computer without them
> having to install anything else.

Great idea, Rodney.  I think we probably need a number of pages like
this, kind of an FAQ set.  I think the main page should just cover one
or two things (how to run python, how to upgrade), and lots of
pointers to these pages.  Each of these should be fairly clear, with
pointers off to more complicated explanations.

Here's the start of a list:

1)  What's the difference between "python" and "pythonw"?
2)  What's the advantage of upgrading?
3)  What do I do if I want to use pre-built packages?
4)  How do I use the Apple GUI toolkit from Python?
5)  How do I use Apple Events from Python?
6)  How do I build a real Mac application written in Python?
7)  How do I install extra modules, like PIL, for the system Python?
8)  What IDE's are available, and what are their relative merits?

Bill